January • February • March • April • May • June
July • August • September • October • November • December
To submit an event being held in northeastern Michigan that is open to the public, please e-mail the information to: email@example.com; mail to Editor c/o Alcona County Review, P.O. Box 548 Harrisville, MI 48740 or Fax to (989) 724-6655. Please submit the information at least two weeks prior to the event and include a telephone number for additional info if needed by editor.
- DECEMBER -
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5
- The MEA-Retired 14A will meet at 10 a.m. at the Alpena Public Library, 211 North First Avenue. There will be potluck lunch at noon. Bring a dish to pass and a quality item for the scholarship fund silent auction. Call (989) 356-4551 or (800) 587-5545 for details.
- A special screening featuring the first episode from the second season of "Victoria" can be seen at the Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library at 7 p.m. The screening is hosted by WCMU Public Television. The event is free and open to the public, but registration is requested at WCMU.org/events. The library is located at 211 North First Avenue in Alpena. For more information, call (989) 356-6188 extension 25.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 6
- Alcona County Baby Pantry will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at St. Raphael Catholic Church, 2531 East F-30 in Mikado. Formula, diapers, toys, new and gently used shoes and clothing available to residents of Alcona County with newborns through age four. Layettes are available for the eighth month. Santa Claus will there from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. with goodies for clients.
- Northeast Michigan UAW Retired Workers Alpena Council will hold their membership meeting at 11 a.m. at the VFW Hall, 2900 Connon in Alpena. A representative from Blue Cross Blue Shield will be on hand to answer questions. Lunch will be served at noon. Bring a can of food for the needy. For more information, call (989) 356-4959 or (989) 727-4080.
- My Brother's Hope will be accepting donations from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 76 North Barlow Road (across from the high school). Call (989) 335-3541 for details.
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 7
- A presentation on recent shipwreck discoveries in the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary will be held at 6 p.m. at the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center in Alpena. Two new shipwreck sites were located in 300 feet of water off the coast of Presque Isle. The area was investigated and documented. Referencing the data collected with historical records of vessels lost in the area, both vessels were identified. This is a free event and open to all ages. Call (989) 884-6212 or visit www.thunderbay.noaa.gov for details.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8
- A fish fry will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. at Maria Hall behind St. Anne Catholic Church in Harrisville. Take-outs available.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 9
- Recycle Alcona County will hold drop-off day from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Lincoln ARA site. Enter and exit through the north gate. Call (989) 724-5077 or (989) 724-6546 for details.
- My Brother's Hope will be open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 76 North Barlow Road (across from the high school). Call (989) 335-3541 for details.
- My Brother's Hope Potluck Cafe will be serving a meal from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Harrisville United Methodist Church, 217 North State Street (US-23). Call (989) 335-3541 for details.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 10
- The Sunrise Ringers will perform their Winter Celebration concert at 3 p.m. at the Harrisville United Methodist Church on US-23 north of the light. There is no charge but donations will be accepted.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 12
- The AuSable Valley Audubon will meet at 1 p.m. at Robert J. Parks Library in Oscoda. The guest speaker, Phil Odum will present a program on the eBird application. The public is welcome to attend.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 13
- Alcona County MSU Extension will celebrate 100 years of service in the county from 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the extension office located at 320 South State Street in Harrisville. Join them for refreshments and meet the staff. Learn more about the MSU Extension Program. Free children's books for every child that attends.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 15
- Living nativity, a beautiful reenactment of the Christmas story with live actors and animals set in an outdoor stable, will be held at 7 p.m. at Tri-Point Church of God, 500 South Brook Street in Alpena. Warm up with hot cocoa, cookies and carols inside after the program. This is a free family event.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16
- Living nativity, a beautiful reenactment of the Christmas story with live actors and animals set in an outdoor stable, will be held at 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. at Tri-Point Church of God, 500 South Brook Street in Alpena. Warm up with hot cocoa, cookies and carols inside after the program. This is a free family event.
MONDAY, DECEMBER 18
- White Pine Quilt Guild will meet at 6:30 p.m. at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 201 North Second Street in Harrisville. Join them for fellowship, inspiration and quilting ideas. For more information, call Joanne at (989) 255-7880.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 20
- A blood drive will be held from noon to 6 p.m. at the Lincoln Senior Center, 207 Church Street. Bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive identification. For more information, call (989) 736-8879 or visit redcrossblood.org.
Cheryl L. Peterson, Publisher & Editor :
John D. Boufford, Production Manager :
Eileen Roe, Circulation Director :